
I believe that in order to truly experience a place, you need to eat its food. In Memphis, that means bbq - specifically bbq'd pork - even more specifically bbq'd pulled pork. Within 12 hours of arriving in Memphis, we went to Top's BBQ and had pulled pork sandwiches (with slaw on them), slaw as a side and fries. It was so good, I didn't have time to take a picture, we just inhaled it. The picture you see is of the bbq pulled pork at Central BBQ (Central Ave location). Pete and I loved the regular bbq sauce (which they make themselves), but also enjoyed the hot and mustard versions. The BBQ Shop was the next stop on the Memphis BBQ tour (please pick up your commemorative bibs at the gift shop on your way out). Recommended to me by Gadsby (coordinator of Career Services, MCA, also bike patron - that story coming soon), I rode my bike up to Madison for lunch, and ran into Katey (Assistant Director of Admissions, MCA), so I knew I was in the right place. This time the pulled pork was on Texas Toast.
Here's what I think so far - best sauce is at Central, best slaw and sweet tea is a the BBQ Shop, best overall southern bbq experience (or at least what my romantic Canadian view of that) was at Tops. They were all great, and I would (probably will) eat at any/all of them again.
But, I've only been here a month, so the rankings will change, I'm sure.
Next post will be about school, I promise!

No comments:
Post a Comment